Gujarat National Law University was established in 2003 with the aim of promoting excellence in legal education as well as legal research. Since its inception, the University has been holding regular in-house moot court competitions, after which meritorious students are sent across country as well as abroad for participating in moot court competitions. The university regularly organizes two moots a year- the GNLU International Moot Court Competition and the GNLU Moot on Securities and Investment Law.
The GNLU International Moot Court Competition (GIMC) was launched in 2009 with the objective of creating a platform for testing the legal acumen and potential of law students globally. For over a decade, GIMC has served as a unique platform for law students to explore nuances of international trade law and hone their research and advocacy skills.
The competition boasts of successful past collaborations with the World Trade Institute (WTI), University of Bern; IELPO LL.M. Programme, University of Barcelona; Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan Attorneys; Centre for Trade and Investment Law and Centre for WTO Studies, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade; Borden Ladner Gervais LLP; Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; EBC-SCCOnline; Westlaw; Thomson Reuters India, and TradeLawGuide and aims to further build on these relations. Previous editions of the competition saw the WTI provide the winners an opportunity to attend their Summer Academy on Trade Regulation and Global Governance. L&S has also offered internship opportunities to the winners of previous editions of the competition.
In continuation of our legacy and with an aim to set higher standards to test the legal acumen, research and oratory skills of the participating teams, Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar cordially invites you to the 12th edition GIMC, scheduled to be held from February 12 – 16, 2020. This edition’s moot problem highlights contemporary legal challenges and focuses on procedural aspects of WTO litigation, primarily focusing on the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade and General Agreement on Trade in Services.
The Competition is open to all students, enrolled bona-fide on a regular basis in an undergraduate/postgraduate law course or its equivalent conducted by any recognized College/ Institution/ University.
Each Team shall comprise of a minimum of two members and a maximum of three members.
Gujarat National Law University, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India.
Registration Procedure and Fees
- The registration fee is INR 5,000 per Team.
- Indian teams may make payment by Demand Draft or Online Transfer using the link here.
- Foreign teams may make payment by Bank Transfer according to the procedure provided in the Rules of the Competition.
- Winning Team: Trophy + INR 50,000 (cash prize)
- Runner-Up Team: Trophy + INR 25,000 (cash prize)
- Best Written Submissions: Trophy + INR 10,000 (cash prize)
- 2nd Best Written Submissions: Trophy
- Best Orator in the Preliminary Rounds: Trophy + INR 5,000 (cash prize)
- 2nd Best Orator in the Preliminary Rounds: Trophy
- Best Orator in the Final Round: Trophy + INR 5,000 (cash prize)
- Best Researcher: Trophy + INR 5,000 (cash prize)
- 2nd Best Researcher: Trophy
- Last day for provisional registration: November 25, 2019
- Last day for registration and completion of all formalities: January 10, 2020
- Last day to apply for clarifications regarding the Moot Problem: November 15, 2019
- Clarifications, if any, to be published: December 2, 2019
- Last day for submitting the soft copy of the Written Submission: January 19, 2020
- Last day for submitting the hard copy of the Written Submission: January 23, 2020
- Dr. Girish R., Faculty Convenor at firstname.lastname@example.org, +91-81286 50806.
- Mr. Rohan Merchant, Student Convenor at email@example.com, +91-98241 51770;
- Ms. Yashi Saraswat, Student Convenor at firstname.lastname@example.org, +91-98982 38740;
- Ms. Anushka Sinha, Student Co-Convenor at email@example.com, +91-81412 07125;
- Mr. Devarsh Kotak, Student Coordinator (Logistics) at firstname.lastname@example.org, +91-97392 20275
- Ms. Shubhangi Singh, Student Coordinator (Communications) at email@example.com, +91-99048 98812.
The Official Schedule of the Competition is available here.
The Registration Form for the moot is available here.
The Moot Problem is available here.
The Rules of the Competition are available here.
For more information, please visit our official website.