After a four-day public hearing in the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav, a Retired Indian Navy officer sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court on charges of espionage, the verdict of International Court of Justice would be pronounced soon on 17-07-2019.
“According to the Press Release by ICJ, The International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the United Nations, will deliver, on Wednesday 17 July 2019, its Judgment in the Jadhav case (India v. Pakistan).
A public sitting will take place at 3 p.m. at the Peace Palace in The Hague, during which Judge Abdulqawi Ahmed Yusuf, President of the Court, will read the Court’s decision.”
Earlier, before the four day-public hearing of the case, International Court of Justice at the Hague pronounced it’s verdict in favour of India. It said that the conditions required to indicate provisional measures are met, hence, it is appropriate to order that Pakistan should ensure that Kulbhushan Jadhav is not executed pending the final decision. The provisional order under Article 41(1) has a binding obligation.
India had, on 08-05-2017, initiated the proceedings before ICJ against the execution of the death sentence imposed upon an Indian National Kulbhushan Jadhav, alleging that Pakistan kidnapped Kulbhushan Jadhav from Iran, where he was carrying on business after retiring from the Indian Navy, and was then shown to have been arrested in Baluchistan on 3 March 2016. On 09-05-2017, Judge Ronny Abraham, President of the ICJ stayed the execution of Kulbhushan Jadhav under Article 74, paragraph 4, of the Rules of Court. Harish Salve and Khawar Qureshi represented India and Pakistan, respectively.
- ICJ | Kulbhushan Jadhav Case [Live]: Four Day Hearing To Begin Today Amidst The Tensions After A Massive Terror Attack In J&K
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case [Live]: [India v. Pakistan] | Day-2 Of Hearing At ICJ–Pakistan To Begin With Its Arguments Today
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case [Live] | India v. Pakistan: Day-3 Of Hearing; India To Begin With Its Second Round Of Oral Arguments
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case [Live] | Final Showdown–Pakistan’s Turn To Present Its Final Arguments | [India v. Pakistan]
- Kulbhushan Jadhav Case: ICJ Orders In Favour Of India; Pakistan Not To Execute The Death Sentence Pending Final Decision Of The Court