The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India has notified the Food Safety and Standards (Import) First Amendment Regulations, 2021 vide notification dated November 3, 2021. The regulations amend the Food Safety and Standards (Import) Regulations, 2017 to insert the chapter with respect to registration and inspection of Foreign Food manufacturing facilities.
- Foreign Food manufacturing facilities falling desirous to export such article of food to India shall register with the Food Authority before exporting to India either directly or through authorised representative may apply for registration in “Form 16” under these regulations.
- On receipt of a complete application including the additional information if asked for, the Food Authority may process the application for inspection, if required or issuance of registration or rejection of the application.
- The Foreign Food manufacturing facility may be inspected, if required in the following manner specified by Food Safety and Standards Authority of India:
- No inspection shall be required in case of such categories of food that are covered under mandatory Bureau of Indian Standards Certification Mark Scheme and where the Bureau of Indian Standards scheme of inspection includes the requirements specified under Schedule 4 of the Food Safety and Standards (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
- Foreign Food manufacturing facility may also be inspected after the issuance of registration, as deemed necessary.
- Officials from FSSAI and relevant ministry or organization or department or recognized auditing agency shall be nominated by the Food Authority for the purpose of inspection of Foreign Food Manufacturing Facilities;
- Food Authority, if required may prescribe cost of inspection, which shall be borne by the Foreign Food manufacturing facility.
- Foreign Food manufacturing facility found to be in compliance of Food Safety and Standards Act, rules and regulation made there-under shall be registered as Foreign Food manufacturing facilities for a period of two years and their registration number shall be communicated in Form 17.
- If Foreign Food manufacturing facility or their food products intended for export to India are found not to be in compliance of Food Safety and Standards Act, their registration as Foreign Food manufacturing facilities shall be suspended or cancelled.