Delhi High Court: A Division Bench of Siddharth Mridul and Talwant Singh, JJ. issued directions to address the concern for providing food grains to poor, under privileged and marginalized sections.
Bench observed the distress caused to the residents of the city due to the lockdown imposed in order to contain the spread of COVID-19.
The situation has been aggravated by the stated denial of access to food grain to the poor, under privileged and marginalized sections.
Court has been informed that, GNCTD is undertaking necessary steps to alleviate their suffering through various measures, stated to include the serving of hot meals twice a day at a large number of specified locations.
Court directed GNCTD to ensure that
- all ration shops remain operational and disburse PDS food grains in accordance with the policy formulated by both the Central Government as well as the State Government in this regard.
- ensure delivery of the requisite food grains from the PDS ration shops, on a regular basis between 09:00 am to 01:00 pm and 03:00 pm to 07:00 pm, on all seven days of the week.
- Food grains are distributed to the poor, needy and marginalized non-PDS residents from the PDS, as well as, other distribution centers stated to be set-up by them, for the said purpose.
- Sub-Divisional Magistrates of each district carry out strict and regular monitoring and oversight of the distribution of food grains, as afore directed and upload the details of shop-wise distribution of ration to both the PDS and non-PDS residents on their official website, at the end of each day.
- GNCTD shall widely publicize and circulate the information qua the compliance of the directions issued herein above, both through the print and electronic media.
- GNCTD is also directed to immediately place on their official website, as well as, publicize through the print and electronic media.
[Delhi Rozi-Roti Adhikar Abhiyan v. Union of India, WP (C) No. 2161 of 2017, decided on 27-04-2020]