On 15 December 2014, Lok Sabha passed the Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Amendment Bill, 2014. The objective of the Bill is to bring the properties of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and other Metro Rails which may come up in future and also the properties of New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) within the ambit of Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorised Occupants) Act, 1971 to deal with the problem of evictions. The Bill proposes as follows:
- To substitute the meaning of “public premises” in Section 2 (e) of the PP(E) Act, 1971 as defined under Section 3 of the Companies Act, 1956 with that as defined in Section 2(20) of the Companies Act, 2013;
- To include “Municipal Council” within the purview of public premises along with any premises belonging to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi, or any Municipal Committee or notified area committee as contained in Section 2 (e)(3) of the PP(E) Act, 1971;
- To substitute the word “Municipal Corporation” by the phrase “Corporation or Corporations” notified under Section 3 (1); of the ‘‘Delhi Municipal Corporation Act, 1957″, as per recommendation of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Urban Development;
- To make consequential amendments in Section 2 (fa) (ii) and (v) of the PP(E) Act, 1971 so that officers of the proposed companies and New Delhi Municipal Council can be appointed as “estate officers” under Section 3 of the PP(E) Act, 1971; and
- In relation to National Capital Territory of Delhi – to bring any premises belonging to, or taken on lease by, or on behalf of any Government Company as defined in Section 2(45) of the Companies Act, 2013.