On 7-11-2023, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways notified the Central Motor Vehicles (Ninth Amendment) Rules, 2023 to amend the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989 (‘CMV Rules’). The provisions came into force on 7-11-2023.
Rule 125M has been inserted which relates to “Type approval of electric power train vehicles and hybrid electric vehicle”.
- The provision will apply to the following vehicles:
- electric power train vehicles, including pure electric vehicles and hybrid electric vehicles;
- strong hybrid electric vehicle;
- plug-in hybrid electric vehicle;
- series hybrid electric vehicle;
- series parallel hybrid electric vehicle.
- These vehicles will have to comply with requirements specified in the Table of Rule 124 of the CMV Rules, 1989 relating to Safety Standards of Components.
- The definition of the Electric Power Train has been specified as follows-
“a system consisting of one or more electric energy storage devices such as a battery, electromechanical flywheel or super capacitor, one or more electric power conditioning devices and one or more electric machines that convert stored electric energy to mechanical energy delivered at the wheels for propulsion of the vehicle”.
- A Hybrid Electric Vehicle is one which draws energy from a consumable fuel or a battery, capacitator, flywheel or generator.
- Plug-in Electric Vehicle includes a strong hybrid electric vehicle which has a provision for off Vehicle charging of rechargeable energy storage system.
- Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle means the vehicle which allows power to be delivered to the driven wheels solely by a rechargeable energy storage system and also incorporates the use of a combustion engine to provide power to the rechargeable energy storage system or electric motor.
Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle means a parallel hybrid electric vehicle which additionally incorporates a system for the combustion engine to provide power to the rechargeable energy storage system or electric motor.