- Details for the post:
Government Law College, Mumbai presents the 21st Dinesh Vyas Memorial Government Law College, National Legal Essay Competition 2021-22
Writing is a proclivity that a lawyer must never detach from himself, and thus, each year, the Magazine Committee of Government Law College, Mumbai, organises a national level legal essay writing competition, the ‘Dinesh Vyas Memorial Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition’. The Dinesh Vyas Memorial Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition is sponsored in the memory of Late Mr Dinesh Vyas, one of GLC’s most distinguished alumni, who obtained his LLB degree from Government Law College in 1967.
The Magazine Committee of Government Law College, Mumbai curates the annual magazine of the college titled méLAWnge. méLAWnge is not just an annual publication, it is a part of aeonian history. It is for this reason that students, professors, lawyers and judges have come together, once again, to breathe life into this edition.
- Competition Details:
The Topics for this year’s edition are:
- Analyse Indian laws with respect to reproductive rights. Do they sufficiently protect the bodily autonomy of all the stakeholders involved?
- With reference to previous laws passed, address the need for formulating a refugee law in India.
- In light of the recent establishment of the Sports Arbitration Centre of India, comment/shed light upon the scope of arbitration in disputes relating to sports.
- Critically appraise the concept of live-streaming court proceedings. Does it do more harm than good?
Analyse the Mediation Bill, 2021. Is it a step forward in the right direction?
- The Essay must be written in English.
- Each entry must be the original and previously unpublished work of the participant.
- A copy of the entry should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org in both the PDF and Word formats with the subject “Entry for Vyas 2021-22”.
- Participants must submit a short bio-data in the body of the e-mail containing the following information: Full name, year, college name, telephone number & postal address along with personal contact number, email-id & postal address.
- In the body of the same email, participants are required to specify which topic they have chosen to write on. Such specification must not be included in the entry itself.
- Participants must submit a scanned copy of their College Student Identity Card or equivalent Fee Receipt. Entries which do not contain the same, will not be accepted.
- No Registration fee is to be paid by the participants.
Co-authorship up to 2 authors is permitted within students from the same educational institution.
- Each entry should be no shorter than 3500 words, and no longer than 5000 words. The word limit is inclusive of footnotes.
- The entry should adhere to the following formatting requirements: Font type – Times New Roman, Font size – 12, Double-spacing, One inch margin on each side, with justified alignment of text.
- The footnotes should adhere to the following formatting requirements: Font type – Times New Roman, Font size – 10, Single-spacing, with justified alignment of text.
- The citation must be strictly in accordance with the Harvard Blue Book Citation Style, 20th Edition.
The identity of the student or the college, university, institution, etc. should not be revealed in the text of the essay in any manner whatsoever.
The following are the criteria for marking and the marks allotted to each category:
Overall subjective evaluation
Issues covered and ingenuity of ideas
Flow and structure of essay
Legal content and use of authorities, references etc.
Negative marks shall be allotted as per the following scheme:
- Violation of word limit (per 150 words) -2 marks
Violation of each presentation rule -2 marks.
- All entries shall be deemed to be the property of ‘Vyas Memorial Government Law College National Legal Essay Competition’, which reserves the right of publication of the same in any periodical, journal, book, electronic resource or in any other manner as it may deem appropriate
- The organising committee’s decision as regards the interpretation of rules or any other matter related to the competition shall be final.
- In the event that any situation arises, which is not contemplated in the rules, the organising committee’s decision on the same shall be final. The organising committee reserves the right to vary, alter, or repeal any of the above rules as they deem appropriate.
The decision of the judges shall be final and binding on all concerned.
The registration is free and open to all candidates fulfilling the eligibility criteria provided hereinabove.
Students pursuing LL.B. (3 Years or 5 Years Courses)/ LL.M. course from any recognised University or College can participate in the competition.
- 1st Prize: ₹20,000/-
- 2nd Prize: ₹15,000/-
- 3rd Prize: ₹10,000/-
The first prize winning entry will be published in méLAWnge 2021-22, the Annual College Magazine of Government Law College, Mumbai. All publishing rights will remain with the organising committee.
- Important Dates
The entries must be submitted on or before 23rd January 2023.
- Contact details:
You may email us at email@example.com or contact Khadija Hetavkar, Chief Student Editor +91 9136032099