Pro-Bono Club, RGNUL cordially invites you to a Colloquium on “’Right of Identity of LGBTQ+ & Gender Fluidity’ under Pro Bono Club Scheme, an Initiative under Department of Justice’s Nyaya Bandhu Pro Bono Legal Services and EBC- SCC Online as a Media Partner.
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala (RGNUL) is an autonomous National Law University (NLU) established by the RGNUL Act (No. 12 of 2006) passed by the Legislature of the State of Punjab, under the second wave of reforms instituted by the Bar Council of India. Established in 2006, RGNUL has garnered a pan-India reputation as a stellar institution for legal research and education. In May 2015, RGNUL became the first and the only NLU to have been accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an ‘A’ grade. In March 2018, RGNUL was amongst the four NLUs to have been granted an autonomous status by the University Grants Commission.
The University has been ranked among the top 10 law schools in India in the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF), by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
ABOUT PRO-BONO CLUB
Pro Bono Club established under the scheme ‘Nyaya Bandhu’ by Department of Justice, which aim to instil in the young students’ mind a responsibility towards the community, so that they continue to offer Pro-Bono services for the unassisted and disadvantaged people of society, would also be inaugurated. Pro Bono Club (PB club) Scheme, has been conceptualized to strengthen the existing pro bono programme, by integrating law schools and students within its fold. The primary objective of this scheme is to improve the efficiency and quality of pro bono legal services by providing assistance to pro bono advocates through competent law students.
Objectives of the schemes are: (a) To improve efficiency & quality of pro bono legal services by providing assistance in research and drafting to the pro bono advocates through law students, (b) To instil in young legal minds the philosophy & understanding of pro bono legal aid to marginalized communities by coming face to face with the problems experienced by the people of these communities, (c) Consolidating pro bono advocates for the programme by tapping into its alumni network, and, (d) Helping to reach out to marginalized individuals through grassroots outreach activities in collaboration with non-governmental organizations in their respective areas.
ABOUT RGNUL LEGAL AID CLINIC
RGNUL Legal Aid Clinic was established in 2011 under the aegis of District Legal Services Authority. The clinic is significantly trying to bring in the change in social, political and legal perceptions of the community through its initiatives. Various projects like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, Legal consultancy, awareness camps, legal and digital literacy programs, promotion of sustainable agricultural practices, adoption of villages around the vicinity of the University, promotion and advocacy of rights of women and children, participation in Lok Adalats etc. The volunteers of the clinic have taken up various projects in the villages adopted by the clinic regarding surveys to understand the issues faced by the residents, creation of water recharge system in the Government school of the village, promotion of mensural health and hygiene amongst the women, organizations of free health camps for the villagers, organization of vaccination camps for the residents of the city, cleaning of water bodies, approaching the District Administration for issues faced by the villagers, association with the Old age homes, Collaborative projects with various NGOs for child rights and safety and many more.
The colloquium is organised in reference to various initiatives being taken by leading universities in matters of making the campus ecology supportive and open for the trans people’s accommodation and participation. We at RGNUL would like to take this beacon further and be a part of such initiatives and innovations. ‘Right of Identity of LGBTQ+ and Gender Fluidity’ is the theme of the colloquium, wherein experts will talk about the importance of self-acceptance and idea of gender neutrality in the law relating to sexual harassment at workplace.
- Kanika Jamwal, she has completed her Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Public International Law from the London School of Economics and Political Science, London.Her research interests include, domestic, international and transnational environmental law, climate change and gender justice. At Jindal Global Law School, Kanika teaches courses on public international law, environmental law, and climate change. She will be talking about the idea of gender neutrality in the law relating to sexual harassment at the workplace.
- Mx Dhananjay Chauhan, trans-woman and first Transgender student of Punjab University has not only challenged the norms of gender in a hyper-masculine setup. They have also reshaped the education system in the region of Punjab by opening doors of Punjab University for Transgender people.
- Kanmani R is a trans woman, she is currently a research associate with the Centre for Justice, Law and Society (CJLS), Jindal Global Law School, Sonipat. She is interested in working around issues of health, access to education, public transport & housing in the context of gender & sexual minorities. She often speaks on the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019 as well as broader issues around trans persons & law.
- Maninderjit Singh, a part-time English teacher, believes that everybody has the right to live, to feel accepted no matter what their gender or sexual orientation is. Reading literature and watching films define his interests best. He will be covering the topics on importance of self-acceptance and having an out-of-body experience through reading queer literature.
Inauguration of Pro Bono Club: The Colloquium would also mark an inauguration of Pro Bono Club in the gracious presence of Prof. (Dr.) G.S. Bajpai, Vice-Chancellor RGNUL, Prof. (Dr.) Anand Pawar, Registrar RGNUL and resource persons from Ministry of Justice.
KEY DETAILS OF THE EVENT
- Date: May 28,2022(Saturday)
- Time: 10 AM IST
- Platform: Cisco WebEx
- Registration open through Google Form: HERE
For any further queries regarding the event, please contact the undersigned:
- Pranav Tomar, Student Head (7793845455)
- Dikshi Arora, Student Coordinator (9024559982)
Or mail at: email@example.com