On March 16, 2022, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has issued the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Amendment Regulations, 2022 to further amend the Bureau of Indian Standards (Conformity Assessment) Regulations, 2018.
- In Schedule II, the scheme X, which specifies Conformity assessment scheme for grant of licence to use or apply Standard Mark for goods and articles as per the specified requirements has been inserted.
- Under this Scheme, the manufacturer may be granted –
- licence for demonstration of conformity of goods or articles, hereinafter referred to as the products, to the specified requirements and the specified requirements may be given in the relevant standard or essential requirements specified for the product or both;
- in addition, the manufacturer may opt for demonstration of conformity of management system to the specified requirements given in standard as per the provisions laid down in Scheme – III of the said regulation except the provisions of forms and fee specified in Scheme – III;
- the Bureau may grant certificate of conformity instead of licence in case the product is not desired to be manufactured on a continuous basis and in such a case, the manufacturer shall not be authorised to use the Standard mark.
- Each product or the package or both shall be marked with the Standard Mark in case of licence, as specified in Annexure – I. The Standard Mark shall carry the licence number and any other reference to the specified requirement in a visible manner and shall be as specified in the licence.
- The licence shall be granted initially for not less than three years and upto six years. The licence may be renewed for a further period of not less than three years and upto six years.