The Government of Kerala has notified The Kerala Advocates’ Stipend Rules, 2021 vide notification dated December 18, 2021.
- The stipend shall be disbursed to the applicant from the Fund by the Trustee Committee every month, from time to time, with the prior approval of the Government. The amount of stipend payable to an advocate shall not exceed ₹ 5000 per month.
- The maximum period for which stipend shall be granted shall be three years of actual practice from the date of the Advocate passing the All India Bar Examination or up to the Advocate attaining the age of thirty years, whichever is earlier.
- An applicant shall submit the application for stipend in Form I, along with the documents to support their eligibility subject to the conditions prescribed under the Rules. Key conditions are as follows:
- The applicant shall be a member of the Fund and is not in default of annual subscription to the Fund under sub-section (5) of section 15 of the Act
- The applicant has applied for Certificate of Practice as on the date of application for stipend in Form I
- The applicant’s annual income, at the time of application does not exceed rupees one lakh
- The applicant has not exceeded the age of thirty years
- The applicant is neither substantially or full time pursuing any course of study nor earning substantial income from any source other than from the legal profession or part time teaching in law
- An application for stipend shall be forwarded through and recommended by the Bar Association, of which the applicant is a member.
- The stipend shall be paid into the bank account of the applicant, as per the account details, furnished in the application.
- No applicant shall be entitled for stipend as of right, but will be subject to the satisfaction of the Trustee Committee as to the applicant’s eligibility and continuation of actual practice.