The Indian Mediation Week (IMW) and the West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (WBNUJS) are pleased to announce the 1st NUJS-Indian Mediation Week Essay Competition 2018 on the topic of Mediation, 2018. Indian Mediation Week is a pan-India awareness campaign run by ODRways in collaboration with the WBNUJS, Kolkata with support from Union Ministry of Law & Justice, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs and Supreme Court Mediation and Conciliation Project Committee. The sole objective of Indian Mediation Week is to grow awareness, knowledge and use of mediation across different parts of India. It aims at bringing together all the major stakeholders of the mediation community on a common platform while highlighting the benefits of this process to the general public. The competition is conceived to encourage law students to write about forward looking issues in the growth of Mediation and its scope in the present scenario.
Eligibility: The application is open to all students enrolled in post-graduate or undergraduate from any recognized university/college across India, research scholars in the field of law and practising lawyers.
Themes: Entries must be on one of the following themes:
1) Commercial Mediation in India
2) Need for Healthcare Mediation in India
3) Mediation versus Arbitration in India
4) Mediation as a Profession in India
5) Mediation Ethics in India
6) Mediation in Criminal Disputes in India
The registration fee for the competition is as follows:
Single Author: Rs 1200
Co-authorship (two authors): Rs 1800 (total)
Co-authorship (three authors): Rs 2400 INR (total)
Modes of payment of the registration fee:
Account Name – Student Juridical Association
Account number – 520101246976299
Name & Address of the Bank Branch – Corporation Bank, NUJS Branch, Salt Lake, Kolkata – 700098
IFSC Code – CORP0000663
Branch Code – 0663
Paytm: +91 9778888779
Prizes: IMW Essay Competition shall be offering:
- 10 Assured Internship Opportunities to authors of top 20 entries;
- Cash Prizes worth over Rs. 20,000;
- Authors of top five entries shall be eligible to co-author a book on “The applicability of Mediation in the Healthcare sector” which shall be published by Eastern Book Company;
- Felicitation in the closing ceremony of Indian Mediation Week;
- Publications for top 15 entries at ODRways Blog;
- All participants shall be rewarded with participation certificates.
1. General: Submissions may be only in the form of essays and should be in English.
2. Word Limit: The word limit should be 3,000 to 5,000 words. The word limit mentioned here is exclusive of footnotes and abstract. Please note that the word limits will be strictly enforced.
3. Abstract: Every submission should be accompanied by an abstract of not more than 250 words providing a summary of the contribution.
4. Format: IMW-Essay Competition follows ‘The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation (20th edn.)’ style of referencing. Speaking footnotes are strictly prohibited. The body of the manuscript should be in Times New Roman, size 12 with 1.5 spacing. The footnotes should be in Times New Roman, size 10 with single spacing.
5. Anonymity of Authors: The manuscript must not contain any indication of the identity of the author or the college, university, institutions etc. Biographical information of the authors is to be provided in a separate document, including the following details: name, qualifications, e-mail address and postal address.
6. Authorship: Submissions are invited from undergraduate and graduate students, industry practitioners, academicians and research scholars. Submissions may be co-authored, although by a maximum of three authors. There is no requirement for the co-authors to be from the same college/institution/university/school.
7. Deadline: The last date for submission is 2359 hours, 11th November, 2018 (Sunday).
8. Submission: Please send your submissions as a .doc or .docx file and biographical information in a separate document with the subject title IMW ESSAY: “Topic of the Essay”.
9. Plagiarism: Only original essays will be considered for the competition. No part of it should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication or a contest elsewhere. Any form of plagiarism will result in disqualification of the essay.
How to submit: Entries may be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
latest by 2359 hours, 11th November 2018 (Sunday)
. The last date to register for the competition is 1st November 2018 (Thursday)
. Please note that no application for registration shall be entertained after the deadline.
For any further information/clarification, please email us at: email@example.com.
Helpdesk: Avnish Singh: 7903629219
Anshuman Panigrahi: 9778888779
Apoorva Singh: 9918344934
Aastha Sharma: 8583973520
Aryan Mohindroo: 9073007085