The Centre for Business and Commercial Laws of National Law Institute University, Bhopal (NLIU), in collaboration with Trilegal, is organizing the annual NLIU-Trilegal Summit on Corporate and Commercial Laws on 24th and 25th of August, 2018, with Eastern Book Company as the Publishing partner.
The previous three editions focussing on mergers and acquisitions, in 2016, 2017 and 2018 were a resounding success, witnessing submissions and participation by law students from across the country. The topics discussed in the previous editions of the summit focussed on key issues in M&As such as M&A activity in pharmaceutical, real-estate, infrastructure and ecommerce sector etc.; to key issues in M&A transactions such as valuation mismatch, failed transactions and rise of corporate insolvency regime; and on contemporary issues such as leveraged buyouts, rupee-denominated bonds, rise of NPAs and asset reconstruction companies.
The present edition of the summit is an effort to continue the successful legacy of the past editions, in an expanded format covering all areas of corporate and commercial laws. The present edition aims to initiate a dialogue on the key issues arising in the corporate world and contribute to the growth of knowledge and research in the field of commercial laws, while increasing the awareness and aptitude of students in these fields.
The following prizes are being offered by EBC and Trilegal to the winners of the Summit:
- First Prize – One-year access to SCC Online + Supreme Court Words and Phrases + An all-expense paid three-day trip to a foreign destination.
- Second Prize – Six-month access to SCC Online + V.N. Shukla’s Constitution of India + one month paid internship with Trilegal
- Third Prize – Three-month access to SCC Online + EBC’s Coat Pkt. Edition of the Constitution of India + one month paid internship with Trilegal.
The last date of submission is 10thof July and the themes for the summit are:
Corporate Governance in India
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Inbound and outbound mergers.
- Analysis of landmark mergers and forecasting trends for future M&A activity.
- M&A activity in key sectors
- Foreign Investment (Private Equity/Venture Capital and Debt Instruments)
- Emerging forms of investment such as REITs and InvITs
- Liberalisation of existing investment regime (such as single and multi-brand retail, changes to FPI regime)
- Analysis of statutory changes (e.g. new FEMA 20)
- Banking & Insolvency Law
- Rise of Non-Performing Assets in the economy
- Working of IBC and emerging trends
- Debt restructuring in India
- Introduction of P2P Lending in India
- Securities Law
- Cross-Listing of Stock Exchanges
- Rise of IPOs in niche sectors such as insurance companies, banks
- Trend of failure of IPOs in Indian market
- Emerging trends in white collar crime (legal developments and recent examples in insider trading)
- Regulatory overhaul of certain segments such as derivatives, FPIs
- Competition Law
- Exemptions and Filing Norms for Mergers and Amalgamations
- Antitrust aspects in the acquisition of Financially distressed companies
- Competition Law in a Digitized Economy – Comparative analysis of Competition Law in India and foreign jurisdictions
- Economic theories and evidence in Competition Law
- Emerging contemporary legal issues related to-
- Technologies such as Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies and Initial Coin Offerings
- Data Privacy aspects of financial information
Looking forward to seeing you at the Summit!
Arshia Verma (Convenor, CBCL): +91-7049729766
Rohan Kohli (Co-convenor, CBCL): +91-9617950534
Shounak Banerjee (Secretary, CBCL): +91-9911425727