This is a call for applications to be part of the Training & Materials Vertical of the Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) Project. The IDIA Project was initiated by Prof. (Dr.) Shamnad Basheer to reach out to the marginalized and under-represented groups, sensitize them to law as a viable career option and help interested students acquire admission in law schools, which are otherwise increasingly elitist spaces. The hope is that increasing access to legal education would contribute immensely to empowerment of the marginalized and underprivileged students and the communities they represent. To know more about the project, please visit the IDIA website here.
The Training and Materials Vertical (T&M Team) of IDIA is responsible for preparation of training-material for our trainees to practise with. The Team is inviting applications for the different projects it will be undertaking this year. As you may know, the T&M Vertical is undergoing rapid expansion via its online platform and in furtherance of this endeavor, we require volunteers for the following projects –
1. Video Training
Building on from last year’s success, we aim to create more video tutorials in regional languages so as make learning easier and more fun for our trainees. We will be using a very simple software for this (for instance see this short explanatory video). Each video ideally explains one topic and gives some questions on it. You can view the tutorials we developed last year here.
This project, once completed, shall enable IDIA to reach out to areas where it does not have a strong presence as yet. Prior knowledge of video-making, programming, graphic designing etc. is NOT a pre-requisite to be a part of this team. If you have a sound grasp of subject areas tested through law entrance examinations, and wish to disseminate this knowledge country-wide then please do apply!
2. Mock Tests
We have prepared a repository of mock tests on the online platform. The work would entail –
- Creating mock tests calibrated to different difficulty levels.
- Proof-reading questions and answer keys in pre-existing Mock Tests.
- Administering tests and analysing test results so as to give detailed, individualised feedback to test-takers.
Last year, all our trainees attempted these mock tests and greatly benefited from regular feedback on their performance. In addition to designing questions, you will have an opportunity to extensively engage with Moodle, code tests, and conduct data analysis using MS Excel. Once again, prior knowledge of these tools is NOT a pre-requisite.
3. Question Bank
We have been successful in preparing a well-segregated subject-wise question bank of all past-years’ law entrance examinations. This task was undertaken with the aim of familiarizing trainees with the possible types of questions that can be expected in an entrance examination. The work for this project would entail –
- Reviewing the Question Bank to ensure there are no errors in the questions and ensuring the answers are conducive.
- Determining and implementing a creative means for rendering the question bank online so as to ensure ease of usage.
4. Current Affairs
This project entails preparation of weekly quizzes on current affairs. If you are interested in regular engagement with the happenings across the world, then this work shall interest you greatly.
The minimum qualifications for this post are the following:
- The T&M Vertical must be first priority for you. You should be able to spare at least 6-8 hours a week for this work.
- It is essential that you believe in and be committed to IDIA’s cause.
- Good communication skills along with leadership qualities are also a must.
The biggest incentive in working as part of IDIA is, of course, the satisfaction of having made great contribution towards a great cause. However, if the promise of a social revolution and transforming someone’s life is not good enough for you, some material incentives which you could consider are:
- IDIA’s various supporters and donors (including some of the leading law firms) have agreed to grant internship opportunities to best performing IDIA volunteers. In the past, IDIA has nominated its best performing volunteers for internships at top law firms such as JSA, Trilegal, Luthra and Luthra, AZB etc. as well as companies like GE, Microsoft, Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis etc.
- An exceptional IDIA team leader/deputy team leader could be nominated for a series of awards including a fellowship instituted by a leading lawyer (IDIA: Sagar Fellowships) that pays a good sum each month.
- A certificate highlighting your contribution to IDIA and providing an assessment of your work.
Those interested in applying may fill in this form by 11:59 P.M. on Sunday, 1st October 2017. Applicants having past experience with similar projects are encouraged to apply, although that is not a strict requirement for selection. Members of regional teams are also encouraged to apply. Based on your expression of interest via the Google form you will be asked to complete a small task in due course.
Needless to say, each of these projects would require you to maintain a high level of professionalism and meet strict deadlines. In case of any doubt(s), please feel free to write to Anusha (email@example.com) or Shilpa (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Siddhant (email@example.com). We would be happy to answer your queries.