Established in the year 2007, UPES has emerged as a premier institution and is the first Indian University specializing in Energy Laws. UPES has constantly worked hard towards educating with purpose and creating skilled professionals to drive the Country.
The School of Law, under the aegis of UPES, is a unique, domain-specific institution with specialization in courses like Energy Law, Corporate Law, Taxation Law, Cyber Law, Criminal law, Labour law and IPR, among others.
The mooting culture in UPES School of Law flourishes with National and International competitions that the university hosts, with a vast array of seminars, webinars, workshops and sessions by experts happening regularly, for both inter and intra university facilitation.
About the Moot
Our university organizes the UPES Dr. Paras Diwan Memorial International “Energy Law” Moot Court Competition, India’s first and only Energy Law Moot Court Competition. The competition has sought to preserve and advance the legacy of Dr. Paras Diwan, an eminent Indian jurist, and stalwart in the field of law.
The competition is in its 12th edition now and has grown by leaps and bounds from the first edition which was held in the year 2011. The competition went from being a national event to an event that is internationally celebrated. The competition sees participation from top law schools throughout India and abroad.
After receiving an overwhelming response to the previous 11 editions, UPES School of Law is back with its 12th edition, and this year it is bound to get bigger and better. The case record has been drafted by luminous law professionals. The drafters for this edition are Mr. Shengming Zhang and Mr. Aden Diis.
- Shengming Zhangis an Associate at McDermott Will & Emery and Research Assistant to Prof. Dr. Stefan Kröll, Director, Vis Moot. He is a Doctor of Law (JD) graduate from Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany and has completed his LLM from Harvard Law School.
- Aden Diis, is Masters graduate in Law and Business Dispute Resolution, International Business Law and Transactions from Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Germany. He has previously worked as Foreign Qualified Lawyer in Banking and Finance team of Allen & Overy, a pre-eminent international law firm, and is currently with Capital Bay GmBH, Luxembourg.
Owing to the ongoing pandemic, and after due deliberations, the Moot Court Committee has decided to conduct the 12th UPES Dr. Paras Diwan Memorial International “Energy Law” Moot Court Competition, 2022 over a virtual platform, from 15th April to 17th April 2022.
Eligibility, Team Size and Other Information
The competition is open for students who are pursuing LLB three-year / five-year course during the current academic year.
- Each team should consist of 3 members. This number cannot be modified under any circumstances.
- There shall be 2 speakers and 1 researcher designated for each team. The researcher shall be allowed to argue with the prior permission of the court in case of illness of the designated speakers.
- Teams should not disclose the identity of their institution; such disclosure shall invite penalties including disqualification. The decision for the same shall be at the discretion of the National Administrator.
Email ID: email@example.com
- Provisional Registration with the organizers ends on 28th February 2022. Online registrations are open from10th February 2022. The last date for registration is 14th March 2022.
- Each Team must register by filling up the Registration Form available in ANNEXURE I of the Rulebook. Further, each team is required to also fill up the Google form as provided in the Rulebook of the Competition.
- Registration fee of ₹ 1500/- shall be charged for national teams. For international teams, the registration fee shall be USD 50.
- The registered participants will receive a team code within 2 days from the last date of registration and confirmation of payment, which will function as their identity for submission of the memorials.
The timeline of the event is as followed:
|Last date to register provisionally with the organizers||February 28, 2022|
|Commencement of Registration||February 10, 2022|
|Last date for Registration (filling of Google Form and attaching registration form)||
March 14, 2022
|Last date for seeking clarifications of Case Record||March 4, 2022|
|Release of clarifications of Case Record||March 15, 2022|
|Last Date for Submission of Memorials||April 3, 2022|
|Inauguration, Orientation & Preliminary rounds (1 & 2)||April 15, 2022|
|Oral Rounds- Quarter Finals and Semi-Finals||April 16, 2022|
|Finals||April 17, 2022|
|Valediction & Prize Distribution||April 17, 2022|
Important Links: –