The President promulgates Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance, 2021.
Key features of the Ordinance are discussed below:
- Constitution of Commission: The Central Government shall constitute a body to be known as the Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas.
- Appointment of Chairperson, Members and Member-Secretary: The full-time Chairperson and full-time Members, other than ex officio Members, of the Commission shall be appointed by the Central Government.
- Resignation and removal of Chairperson and Members
- Term of office of Chairperson and Members: The full-time Chairperson or a Member, other than an ex-officio member, shall hold office for a term of three years from the date on which he enters upon his office or until he attains the age of seventy years, whichever is earlier, and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
- Powers and functions of Commission: The Commission shall have the following powers to perform its duties, including taking measures to abate air pollution and to regulate or prohibit activities that are likely to cause or increase air pollution in the National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas, namely
- co-ordination of actions by the Governments of the National Capital territory of Delhi and the States of Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh, officers and other authorities under this Ordinance or the rules made thereunder or under any other law for the time being in force, which is relatable to the objects of this Ordinance;
- planning and execution of a programme for the region for the prevention, control and abatement of air pollution;
- laying down parameters for the quality of air in its various aspects;
- laying down parameters for emission or discharge of environmental pollutants from various sources whatsoever that have implications on air quality in the region;
- restriction of areas in which any industries, operations or processes or class of industries, operations or processes, that have implications on air quality in the region, shall not be carried out or shall be carried out subject to certain safeguards;
- carrying out and requiring investigations and research relating to problems of environmental pollution that have implications on air quality in the region;
- inspection of any premises, plant, equipment, machinery, manufacturing or other processes, materials or substances and giving, by order, of such directions to such authorities, officers or persons as it may consider necessary to take steps for the prevention, control and abatement of air pollution in the region;
- collection and dissemination of information in respect of matters relating to air pollution in the region;
- preparation of manuals, codes or guides relating to the prevention, control and abatement of air pollution in the region;
- appoint officers, with prior approval of the Central Government, with such designations as it thinks fit for the purposes of this Ordinance and may entrust to them such of the powers and functions under this Ordinance or for the purposes of achieving the objects of this Ordinance as it may deem fit.