The Press Release dated 07.04.2021 states that the Union Cabinet has approved the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy’s proposal for implementation of the Production Linked Incentive (PLI) Scheme ‘National Programme on High Efficiency Solar PV (Photo Voltic) Modules’ for achieving manufacturing capacity of Giga Watt (GW) scale in high efficiency solar PV modules. The budget of Rs.4,500 crore has been allocated to achieve it. The move will support the Atmanirbhar Bharat initiative. The Programme seeks to reduce import dependence in a strategic sector like electricity.
The outcomes/ benefits expected from the scheme as per Press Release dated 07.04.2021 are as follows:
- Additional 10,000 MW capacity of integrated solar PV manufacturing plants,
- Direct investment of around Rs.17,200 crore in solar PV manufacturing projects
- Demand of Rs.17,500 crore over 5 years for ‘Balance of Materials’,
- Direct employment of about 30,000 and Indirect employment of about 1,20,000 persons,
- Import substitution of around Rs.17,500 crore every year, and
- Impetus to Research & Development to achieve higher efficiency in solar PV modules.
*Tanvi Singh, Editorial Assistant has put this story together.