President promulgates the Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas Ordinance, 2020 for better co-ordination, research, identification and resolution of problems surrounding the air quality index and matter connected.
Under the said Ordinance, a Commission for Air Quality Management In National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas will be constituted under Section 3.
Section 11 lays down that the Commission shall have at least the following three sub-committees:
- Sub-Committee on Monitorig and Identification
- Sub-Committee on Safeguarding and Enforcement
- Sub-Committee on Research and Development
Powers and Functions of the Commission have been laid down under Section 12.
- Shall issue directions and entertain complaints for the purpose of protecting and improving the quality of the air in the National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas and shall also have the duty to take all such measures for protecting and improving the air quality.
- Commission can take measures to abate air pollution and to regulate or prohibit activities that are likely to cause or increase pollution in NCR and adjoining areas.
- Commission or any officer authorised by it shall for the purpose of analysis have power to take samples of air from any factory, premises or other place in such manner as may be prescribed.
- In regard to discharge of functions and exercising of its authority, the Commission and the sub-committees mentioned in Section 11 will be bound by the directions and orders of the Central Government.
- Commission can take up matters suo motu or on the basis of complaints made by any individual, representative body or organisation functioning in the filed of environment.
- Commission shall provide the mechanism and the means to implement in the National Capital Region and adjoining areas
- Provide an effective framework and platform in the National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas.
Read the detailed Ordinance here:222804
Ministry of Law and Justice