ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
LexGaze Law Review and Blog (“LexGaze”) is a synergic endeavour of practicing legal luminaries and young law students with one objective at its heart- creating and promoting quality research work that pushes for much-needed reforms in the realm of law. In the committed pursuit of its objective, LexGaze has instituted a large number of initiatives since its inception. LexGaze started out as a journal and blogging website- publishing, promoting and encouraging quality content. With the COVID-19 pandemic that compelled all orgnisations to look beyond the usual, LexGaze moved beyond writing and began engaging in other activities, such as webinars, panel discussions, interviews, and a whole lot more.
Today, after having released the first issue of the law review and fourteen editions of an educative and pulchritudinous weekly newsletter, “The LexGaze Weekly”, LexGaze is venturing into competitions as well, with the first of them being a national level case commentary writing competition in partnership with SCC Online and EBC.
ABOUT THE COMPETITION
It is a shared belief at LexGaze that judgments passed by courts of law instruct and shape the trajectory of the society. Judgments shape perceptions, with people either resonating with them or against them, and give rise to churning that contributes to change. Analysing and commenting on a judgment constitutes a part of such churning.
Keeping this aforesaid thought in mind, LexGaze is organising this competition on writing case commentaries. A case commentary or analysis is an extended commentary on a particular case law. A successful case commentary combines description and analyses of facts; the rule of law applied; the judgment itself and its seminal impacts on the law as well as on the society at large.
For this competition, LexGaze, in association with our Knowledge Partners, EBC and SCC Online, invites students, lawyers and academics to choose a case from the given pool and write an analysis of the same.
- Team Composition: A sole author or two co-authors may participate in the competition. In case of co-authorship, participants may belong to different institutions as well.
- The competition will be divided into three categories:
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Law of Arbitration
- Each participant or participating team shall choose ONE case from ANY of the three categories. A participant or participating team can participate in all the three categories by paying separate registration fees for each of them.
- An exhaustive pool of 20 cases has been provided for each category of law. No other cases can be used for the purpose of the competition. [Annexure I, II, III]. Cases will have to be selected from such pool only.
- The submission must be original. No part of it should have been published earlier nor should it be under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Word limit – Minimum 1000 words & Maximum 3000 words (including footnotes)
- Font size –14 points for Headings, 12 points for text, and 10 points for footnotes
- Line Spacing –5 for text and 1.0 for footnotes
- Citation methodology – Harvard Bluebook (19th Edition)
- Plagiarism: The maximum plagiarism permissible for the purpose of this competition is 10% (TEN PERCENT) on Turnitin.
- Commencement of Registration: 25th September, 2020
- Last Date of Registration: 10th October, 2020
- Training session by expert on writing Case Comments: 12th October, 2020
- Last Date for seeking clarifications, if any: 13th October, 2020
- Last Date for Submission of the manuscript: 20th October, 2020
- Declaration of Result: 30th October, 2020
- The winner/s of EACH CATEGORY shall be awarded ₹1000/- + e-Book on related field of law (sponsored by Eastern Book Company and SCC OnLine) + Certificate of Merit*.
- The runner/s-up of EACH CATEGORY shall be awarded ₹750/- + e-Book on related field of law (Sponsored by Eastern Book Company and SCC OnLine) + Certification of Merit*.
- The top five case comments from each of the three categories will be published on the LexGaze website.
- Certification of Participation* shall be given to all participants.
- Fee Details:
- Single Participant: ₹200
- Co-authors: ₹300
- The registration fee is payable through UPI/PHONEPE/GOOGLEPAY for participating under any particular theme.
- The registration fee has to be paid to the following number/ UPI ID:
BHIM UPI: 9161806109@upi
GOOGLE PAY/ PHONE PE: (+91)9161806109
- After the payment of the registration fee, the participants are required to fill the registration form to complete the registration process. The participants may register themselves by clicking here. (All the details of the participants along with the payment screenshot).
- Once registered, the participants will receive an E-mail acknowledging the payment and assigning the Team Code, within THREE days of such registration.
- In case of any query, mail at queries[at]lexgaze[dot]com (email@example.com).
- You may also call at:
ASHI JAIN +91-9045761696
KRITAGYA AGARWAL +91-9161806109
DEEPANSHU JAIN +91-9993709448