2. Whereas, such restrictions have been placed in order to curb uploading/ downloading/ circulation of provocative videos, guard against rumour mongering/fake news, prevent use of encrypted messaging & VOIP services for infiltration and coordinating terror activities, and defeat the nefarious designs from across the border
3. Whereas, there has recently been a spurt in terrorist violence with launch of new terror outfits and the field agencies have well founded apprehensions of enhanced efforts by Pakistan for recruitment in the terrorists’ ranks as well as infiltration
4. Whereas, the misuse of data services by anti-national elements has potential to scale up violent activities and disturb public order, which has till now been maintained due to gradual easing of restrictions on access to the internet while ensuring that rights
5. Now, therefore, on consideration of the overall security scenario and the reports of the law enforcing agencies, I am satisfied that there is no other alternative but to continue with the speed restrictions in respect of access to internet through mobiles while providing unrestricted fixed line connectivity i.e. without any speed restrictions, and, accordingly, in the interest of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the Security of the State and for maintaining public order, in exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section (2) of section 5 of the Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 and the sub-rule (1) of rule 2 of the Temporary Suspension of Telecom Services (Public Emergency or Public Safety) Rules, 2017, I Principal Secretary to the Government, Home Department, hereby direct that there shall be following restrictions on access to internet:
A. Mobile data services:
i. The internet speed shall be restricted to 2G only.
ii. While the postpaid sim card holders shall continue to be provided access to the internet, these services shall not be made available on pre-paid sim card unless verified as per the norms applicable for post-paid connections.
B. Fixed line Internet connectivity shall be available with Mac-binding
6. The IsGP, Kashmir/Jammu shall ensure communication of these directions to the service providers with immediate effect and ensure their implementation in letter and spirit.
7. The aforesaid directions shall be effective from 28.04.2020 and remain in force til 11.05.2020, unless modified earlier.
By Order of the Government of Jammu and Kashmir.
Government of Jammu and Kashmir
[Government Order dt. 27-04-2020]