S.O. 4571(E).—In exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Foreigners Act, 1946 (31 of 1946), the Central Government hereby makes the following order further to amend the Foreigners Order, 1948, namely:—
1. Short title and commencement.—
(1) This Order may be called the Foreigners (Amendment) Order, 2019.
(2) It shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Foreigners Order, 1948 (hereinafter referred to as the said order), for paragraph 11B, the following paragraph shall be substituted, namely:—
“11B Restrictions on mountaineering expeditions: No foreigner or group of foreigners shall climb or attempt to climb any mountain peak in India, except those peaks which are opened for mountaineering or trekking expeditions under specific orders issued by the Central Government from time to time with routes as may be specified in the said orders, without obtaining the prior permission in writing of the Central Government on an application made in that behalf through the Indian Mountaineering Foundation (a registered society having its registered office in the National Capital Territory of Delhi) and without specification of route to be followed, accompaniment by liaison officer, use of photographic and wireless communication equipment, as may be laid down in this behalf by the Central Government:
Provided that the prior permission of the Central Government shall be required by nationals of China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan or persons having their origin in the said countries even for climbing peaks which are so opened under specific orders issued by the Central Government:
Provided further that the Indian Mountaineering Foundation shall specify routes, attach liaison officer and impose such restrictions as it may deem necessary in respect of peaks which are so opened under specific orders issued by the Central Government”.
3. In the said Order, the Schedule occurring at the end shall be omitted.
Ministry of Home Affairs
[Order dt. 19-12-2019]