On 30.09.2015, the ‘Mid Day Meal Rules, 2015’ under the National Food Security Act, 2013 was notified by the Central Government. The HRD Ministry finalized the Mid Day Meal Rules after consultation with the States and other related Central Ministries. The Rules inter alia provides as follows:
- every child within the age group of 6-14 years studying in classes I to VIII shall be provided mid day meal having nutritional standards in school;
- the School Management Committee shall be responsible to check the quality of meals provided to the children, cleanliness of the place of cooking and maintenance of hygiene and proper implementation of the Mid-day meal Scheme;
- temporary utilization of other funds available with the school for Mid Day Meal in case school exhausts Mid Day Meal funds for any reason;
- payment of Food Security Allowance to beneficiaries in case of non-supply of meals for specified reasons;
- monthly testing of meals on a random basis by accredited Labs to check its quality.
Effective compliance of these Rules by implementing agencies in the States will ensure better regularity in serving of quality mid day meals to children in schools.