The Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council (KHADC) in Meghalaya released the ‘Khasi Inheritance of Property Bill, 2021. The Khasis are a matrilineal society and trace inheritance through the mother’s clan. The bill seeks to achieve “equitable distribution” of parental property among siblings- both male and female, in the Khasi community.
- The Bill proposes to let parents decide who they want to will their property to.
- The Bill would prevent a sibling from getting parental property if they marry a non-Khasi and accept the spouse’s customs and culture.
- The Bill seeks to achieve equitable property distribution between all children in the family.
- The purpose of the bill is to modify an age-old customary practice of inheritance of the matrilineal Khasi tribe.
- The legislation is aimed at economic empowerment based on the principle of equitable distribution of property.
*Tanvi Singh, Editorial Assistant has reported this brief.