On June 15, 2022, SEBI has issued a circular on nomination for mutual fund unit holders in order to bring uniformity in practices across all constituents in securities market.
The following is decided in case of nomination for eligible Mutual Fund Unit Holders:
- Investors subscribing to mutual fund units on or after August 1, 2022, shall have the choice of:
- Providing nomination in the format specified in fourth schedule of SEBI (Mutual Funds) Regulations, 1996; or
- Opting out of nomination through a signed Declaration form as provided in Annexure – A.
- AMC shall provide an option to the unit holder(s) to submit either the nomination form or the declaration form for opting out of nomination in physical or online as per the choice of the unit holder(s). In case of physical option, the forms shall carry the wet signature of all the unit holder(s) and in case of online option, the forms shall be using e-Sign facility recognized under Information Technology Act, 2000, instead of wet signature(s) of all the unit holder(s).
- All AMCs shall ensure that adequate systems are in place for providing the e- Sign facility and take all necessary steps to maintain confidentiality and safety of client records.
All the AMCs are advised to set deadline as March 31, 2023 for nomination / opting out of nomination for all the existing individual unit holder(s) holding mutual fund units either solely or jointly, failing which the folios shall be frozen for debits.