Call for applications to be part of the Training & Materials Vertical of the Increasing Diversity by Increasing Access (IDIA) Project, in the capacity of Co-Team Leader, Deputy Team Leaders, or Members of the Vertical.
The IDIA Project was initiated by Prof. (Dr.) Shamnad Basheer to reach out to the marginalized and under-represented groups, sensitize them to law as a viable career option and help interested students acquire admission in law schools, which are otherwise increasingly elitist spaces. The hope is that increasing access to legal education would contribute immensely to empowerment of the marginalized and underprivileged students and the communities they represent. To know more about the project, please visit the IDIA website here.
The Training and Materials Vertical (T&M Team) of IDIA is responsible for preparation of training-material for our trainees to practice with. The Team is inviting applications for the different projects it will be undertaking this year. The T&M Vertical is revamping its structure to prepare high quality mocks and material in line with the new CLAT pattern, to be as beneficial to our trainees as possible. In furtherance of this renewed endeavor, we require volunteers for the following projects:
1. Reading and Learning Material
To adapt to the new CLAT pattern that is heavily analytical and comprehension based, we aim to create extensive material that our trainees can utilise to learn concepts and read faster. This will include creating short explanations in very simple language on the various legal, mathematical, english, logical and static general knowledge questions that frequent the new pattern. The subject matter that you will be covering will be per your choosing. The explanations can be in the nature of documents, video training, voice notes, or games.
This project shall also enable you to implement unique learning methods in your material to help make the process both fun and informative. Since this is our latest undertaking, priority will be given to applicants who apply under this wing. Moreover, the new pattern will require original thinking to create comprehension based questions of 400-500 words per question. If you have a sound grasp of subject areas tested through law entrance examinations, and wish to disseminate this knowledge country-wide then please do apply!
2. Mock Tests
As we will be required to create new mock tests for the new examination pattern, all new mock tests are being created for the trainees. The work would entail –
• Creating mock tests calibrated to different difficulty levels.
• Proof-reading questions and answer keys in pre-existing Mock Tests.
• Administering tests and analysing test results so as to give detailed, individualised feedback to test-takers.
Over the years, our trainees have greatly benefited from regular feedback on their performance. In addition to designing questions, you will have an opportunity to extensively engage with our new platform, code tests, and conduct data analysis using MS Excel. Once again, prior knowledge of these tools is NOT a pre-requisite.
3. Practice Tests
This project will involve creating weekly and monthly practice tests on the various subjects covered by the law entrance exams. Each test will contain around 20-30 questions with explanatory answers. These tests greatly help the regional teams teach their trainees and track their progress.
4. Current Affairs
This project entails preparation of weekly quizzes on current affairs. If you are interested in regular engagement with the happenings across the world, then this work shall interest you greatly. Please note, applicants under this wing will also have to apply to one of the previously mentioned projects, since this work is infrequent and requires very little time.
1. Co-Team Leader: members with prior experience with the National T&M vertical or the T&M teams of their regional IDIA Chapters are encouraged to apply for this position.
2. Deputy Team Leader: we will be recruiting 1 deputy team leader for each section of the exam, viz, English, Logic, GK, Math, and Legal. You are encouraged to showcase your general interest, experience and aptitude in these sections while applying for the positions.
3. Members: members will be taken for each of the 4 projects mentioned above. You are permitted to apply to more than one project (eg. Mock tests and Current Affairs).
You may apply for only 1 position, but will also be considered for the position of a member if not selected for a leadership position.
One or more of these positions may be applied for.
The minimum qualifications for this post are the following:
1. The T&M Vertical must be first priority for you. You should be able to spare at least 5-6 hours a week for this work.
2. It is essential that you believe in and be committed to IDIA’s cause.
3. Good communication skills along with leadership qualities are also a must.
4. Members with prior experience with the Vertical are encouraged to apply for the position of Co-TL and deputy TLs.
The biggest incentive in working as part of IDIA is, of course, the satisfaction of having made a great contribution towards a great cause. However, if the promise of a social revolution and transforming someone’s life is not good enough for you, some material incentives which you could consider are:
1. IDIA’s various supporters and donors (including some of the leading law firms) have agreed to grant internship opportunities to best performing IDIA volunteers. In the past, IDIA has nominated its best performing volunteers for internships at top law firms such as JSA, Trilegal, Luthra and Luthra, AZB etc. as well as companies like GE, Microsoft, Thomson Reuters, LexisNexis etc.
2. An exceptional IDIA team leader/deputy team leader could be nominated for a series of awards including a fellowship instituted by a leading lawyer (IDIA: Sagar Fellowships) that pays a good sum each month.
3. A certificate highlighting your contribution to IDIA and providing an assessment of your work.
Those interested in applying may fill in this form by 11:59 P.M. on Wednesday, 22nd June 2020. Applicants having past experience with similar projects are encouraged to apply, although that is not a strict requirement for selection. Members of regional teams are also encouraged to apply. Based on your expression of interest via the Google form you will be asked to complete a small task in due course.
Needless to say, each of these projects would require you to maintain a high level of professionalism and meet strict deadlines. In case of any doubt(s), please feel free to write to Piyush Tiwari (firstname.lastname@example.org), we would be happy to answer your queries or take up suggestions.