On the occasion of the 70th Constitution Day, the Joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament was held.
During the Joint Sitting, Parliament passed the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019.
According to Section 2 (k) of the Bill, the definition of “Transgender Persons” is — “transgender person” means a person whose gender does not match with the gender assigned to that person at birth and includes trans-man or trans-woman (whether or not such person has undergone Sex Reassignment Surgery or hormone therapy or laser therapy or such other therapy), person with intersex variations, genderqueer and person having such socio-cultural identities as kinner, hijra, aravani and jogta.
Following are the major heads under the Bill —
- Prohibition against Discrimination
- Recognition of identity of transgender person
- Welfare measures by Government
- Obligations of establishments and other persons
- Education, Social Security and Health of Transgender Persons
- National Council for Transgender Persons
Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019 was passed by Lok Sabha on 05-08-2019.
*Please refer the Bill here — Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill, 2019