On March 28, 2022, the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution (MoCAFPD) has issued the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules, 2022 to further amend the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011. This shall come into force on October 1, 2022.
- Date of enforcement of Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules, 2021 has been substituted from the date ‘1st day of April, 2021 with ‘1st Day of October, 2022’.
- In Rule 6 which specify “Declarations to be made on every package” sub-rule (11) has been substituted namely: –
“The unit sale price in rupees, rounded off to the nearest two decimal place, shall be declared on every pre-packaged commodity” in the following manner:
(i) per gram where net quantity is less than one kilogram and per kilogram where net quantity is more than one kilogram;
(ii) per centimeter where net length is less than one metre and per metre where net length is more than one metre;
(iii) per mililitre where net volume is less than one litre and per litre where net volume is more than one litre;
(iv) per number or unit if any item is sold by number or unit:
Provided that for packages containing alcoholic beverages or spirituous liquor, the State Excise Laws and the rules made thereunder shall be applicable within the State in which it is manufactured.
Provided further that declaration of unit sale price is not required for the pre-packaged commodities in which retail sale price is equal to the unit sale price.
- Rule 33 which specify “Power to relax” sub-rule (2) has been omitted.
Notwithstanding such repeal anything done or any action taken or purported to have been done or taken including approval of letter, exemption granted, fees collected, any adjudication, enquiry or investigation commenced, license and registration of manufacturers, dealers, importers of pre-packaged commodities, or show cause notice, decision, determination, approval, authorisation issued, given or done under the said rules shall if in force at the commencement of the said rules continue to be in force and have effect as if issued, given or done under the corresponding provisions of these rules.
- The Second Schedule which specify “Commodities to be packed in specified quantities” has been omitted.
- No prosecution shall be initiated against the manufacturer or packer or importer of pre packaged commodities for making declaration with effect from the 1st April, 2022 in accordance with Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Rules, 2011, as amended by the Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules, 2021.