The Central Board of Direct Taxes has notified the e-Settlement Scheme, 2021 vide notification dated November 1, 2021.
Key features of the e-Settlement Scheme are:
- The Scheme shall be applicable to pending applications in respect of which the applicant has not exercised the option under sub-section (1) of section 245M of the Act and which has been allotted or transferred by Central Board of Direct Taxes to an Interim Board.
- Section 245M(1) notifies that the assessee who had filed such application may withdraw such application within a period of three months from the date of commencement of the Finance Act, 2021 and intimate the Assessing Officer about the same.
- Interim Board shall conduct e-settlement of pending applications allocated or transferred to it and it shall have such income-tax authority, ministerial staff, executive or consultant to assist the members of the Interim Board, as considered necessary by Central Board of Direct Taxes.
- Under this scheme, all communications between the Interim Board and the applicant, or his authorised representative, shall be exchanged by electronic mode; Provided that any application received in a mode other than electronic mode by the Interim Board may be forwarded to the Principal Commissioner or the Commissioner electronically, to the extent technologically feasible.
- Every notice or order or any other electronic communication under this Scheme from the Interim Board shall be delivered to the addressee, being the applicant by sending an e-mail to the registered email address of the applicant or his authorised representative.
- Applicant shall not be required to appear either personally or through an authorized representative in connection with any proceedings under this Scheme before the Interim Board or before any Income-tax Authority or ministerial staff posted with the Interim Board.