ABOUT TNNLS: The Tamil Nadu National Law School (TNNLS) established in 2012, was a welcome addition to India’s National Law Universities. Its admirable infrastructure and academic ambiance foster the students’ desire to excel. The School and its faculty constantly strive to cultivate and nurture the spirit of excellence among the students. The School since its inception has attempted assorted strategies to create a spirited scholastic atmosphere. The liberal yet demanding academic culture coupled with the friendly atmosphere have ensured that students are able to harness their full potential and contribute in their choice. The weekly debates, moot courts, seminars, and discussions provide them with a platform to hone their legal skills which helps them in having a panoramic view in social thinking. Along with imparting legal education as per the Bar Council of India (BCI) prescribed law courses there is a convergence between Humanities, Social Sciences, Management Studies and the Law in both developing and executing the curriculum in the degree courses. The School is introducing the Post-Graduate Programmes of LL.M and Ph.D. from the academic session in 2018.
The University has been recognised by the University Grants Commission under Section 12(b), UGC Act, 1956. Recently, the University has been empanelled by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
POST GRADUATE PROGRAMME SUMMARY: The Tamil Nadu National Law School (TNNLS) one-year LL.M. is a regular, full-time intensive programme on semester pattern comprises of three streams i.e. LL.M. (Corporate and Securities Laws), LL.M. (Intellectual Property Laws) and LL.M. (Natural Resources Law). It shall spread over one academic year of 36 weeks duration consisting of two semesters of 18 weeks each. As per UGC regulation, the one-year LL.M. programme shall have three mandatory courses, four specialization courses, two elective courses and a dissertation. Thus, a candidate admitted to the one-year programme shall complete an overall nine courses and a dissertation for the award of the degree.
LL.M. (Corporate and Securities Laws):
1. Corporate Finance Law
2. Law of Securities and Derivatives Contracts
3. Corporate Governance
4. Corporate Restructuring (Mergers, Acquisition etc.)
5. Corporate Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law including Revival of Sick Companies
6. Corporate Taxation Law (Direct Taxation)
7. Law and Practice of Shareholder’s Agreements
8. Corporate Compliance, Investigation of Corporate Matters and Adjudicatory Mechanism
LL.M. (Intellectual Property Laws):
1. General Principles of Intellectual Property Laws
2. Law and Practice of Patents
3. Pharma Patents and Access to Medicines
4. International IP Law and Policy
5. Intellectual Property Rights and Litigation
6. Copyrights and Access to Knowledge
7. Law of Plant Varieties and Farmer’s Rights
8. Law of Trademarks and Geographical Indications
9. Intellectual Property and Competition Law
LL.M. (Natural Resources Law):
1. Rights relating to Natural Resources
2. Property Rights over Land
3. Law relating to Water
4. Legal Regulation of Forests and Wildlife
5. Mines and Mineral Laws
6. Energy Law and Regulation
7. Bio-Diversity and Biological Resources
ADMISSION PROCEDURE: Admission to this programme is based purely on merit through the Common Law Admission Test CLAT conducted by the National Law Schools or by any other test as may be decided by TNNLS, Tiruchirappalli.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: 3/5 years B.L. or LL.B. or B.L. (Hons.) or LL.B. (Hons.) or its equivalent with not less than 50% marks in aggregate.
STUDENTS INTAKE: The intake for the academic year 2018-19 including all the three streams of one-year LL.M. programme shall be 18. The University reserves the right to fix the minimum number of students required for each specialization every academic year
*The actual number of courses offered will depend on the decision of TNNLS.\