The 35th GST Council Meeting was held on 21-06-2019 under the chairmanship of Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman. This was the first meeting of the Council after the swearing in of the new Government. The meeting was also attended by Union Minister of State for Finance & Corporate Affairs Anurag Thakur besides Revenue Secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey and other senior officials of the Ministry of Finance. The GST Council recommended the following changes related to law and procedure:
- In order to give ample opportunity to taxpayers as well as the system to adapt, the new return system to be introduced in a phased manner, as described below:
- Between July, 2019 to September, 2019, the new return system (FORM GST ANX-1 & FORM GST ANX-2 only) to be available for trial for taxpayers. Taxpayers to continue to file FORM GSTR-1 & FORM GSTR-3B as at present;
- From October, 2019 onwards, FORM GST ANX-1 to be made compulsory. Large taxpayers (having an aggregate turnover of more than Rs. 5 crores in previous year) to file FORM GST ANX-1 on a monthly basis whereas small taxpayers to file first FORM GST ANX-1 for the quarter October, 2019 to December, 2019 in January, 2020;
- For October and November, 2019, large taxpayers to continue to file FORM GSTR-3B on a monthly basis and will file first FORM GST RET-01 for December, 2019 in January, 2020. It may be noted that invoices etc. can be uploaded in FORM GST ANX-1 on a continuous basis both by large and small taxpayers from October, 2019 onwards. FORM GST ANX-2 may be viewed simultaneously during this period but no action shall be allowed on such FORM GST ANX-2;
- From October, 2019, small taxpayers to stop filing FORM GSTR-3B and to start filing FORM GST PMT-08. They will file their first FORM GST-RET-01 for the quarter of October, 2019 to December 2019 in January, 2020;
- From January, 2020 onwards, FORM GSTR-3B to be completely phased out.
On account of difficulties being faced by taxpayers in furnishing the annual returns in FORM GSTR-9, FORM GSTR-9A and reconciliation statement in FORM GSTR-9C, the due date for furnishing these returns/reconciliation statements to be extended till 31-08-2019
To provide sufficient time to the trade and industry to furnish the declaration in FORM GST ITC-04, relating to job work, the due date for furnishing the said form for the period July, 2017 to June, 2019 to be extended till 31.08.2019
Certain amendments to be carried out in the GST laws to implement the decisions of the GST Council taken in an earlier meeting
Rule 138E of the CGST rules, pertaining to blocking of e-way bills on non-filing of returns for two consecutive tax periods, to be brought into effect from 21-08-2019, instead of the earlier notified date of 21-06-2019
The last date for filing of intimation, in FORM GST CMP-02, for availing the option of payment of tax under notification No. 2/2019-Central Tax (Rate) dated 07.03.2019, to be extended from 30-04-2019 to 31-07-2019.
[Press Release dt. 21-06-2019]
Ministry of Finance