A Memorandum of Settlement, known as Assam Accord was signed on 15-08-1985. Clause 6 of the Accord states that:
“Constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards, as may be appropriate, shall be provided to protect, preserve and promote the cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.”
Accordingly, it has been decided to constitute a High Level Committee comprising the following:
(i) M.P. Bezbarauah, IAS (Retd.) – Chairman
(ii) Subhash Das, IAS (Retd.) – Member
(iii) Dr. Nagen Saikia, – Member (Former President, Assam Sahitya Sabha)
(iv) Dhiren Bezbaruah, – Member (Former editor of The Sentinel)
(v) Dr. Mukunda Rajbangshi, – Member (Educationalist)
(vi) Ramesh Borpatragohain, – Member (Advocate General, Assam)
(vii) Rongbong Terang, – Member (Former President, Assam Sahitya Sabha)
(viii) One representative of All Assam Students’ Union – Member
(ix) Joint Secretary, MHA – Member Secretary
Terms of Reference for the Committee :-
(a) The Committee will
- examine the effectiveness of actions taken since 1985 to implement Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.
- hold discussions with various stakeholders including social organizations, legal and constitutional experts, eminent persons from the field of art, culture and literature, conservationists, economists, linguists and sociologists.
- assess the appropriate level of reservation of seats in Assam Legislative Assembly and local bodies for the Assamese people.
- suggest measures to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages of Assam.
- recommend the appropriate level of reservations in employment under the Government of Assam for the Assamese people.
- suggest any other measures as may be necessary to protect, preserve and promote cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of the Assamese people.
- submit its report within 6 months from the date of notification, and will be serviced by the NE Division of MHA, Government of India.
Further, the State Government of Assam as per the settlement will provide necessary administrative and logistic support to the Committee.